This course Soft Skill Development aims to introduce learners to the dynamics of effective spoken communication by establishing speaking as an autonomous medium with a distinctive vocabulary, syntax, structure, style, and register. It will enable learners to participate in one to one interactions, in small groups, and before a group.
Soft Skill Development is a MOOC based course that is 8 weeks in duration and can fulfill the criteria of 4 credits in a year. You can visit the NPTEL SWAYAM platform and register yourself for the course. This course is brought to you by By Prof. Priyadarshi Patnaik, Priyadarshi Patnaik is a Professor of English and Communication in the Department of Humanities & Social Sciences, IIT Kharagpur.Prof. V.N. Giri, Vijay Nath Giri is a Professor and Head in the Department of Humanities & Social Sciences, IIT Kharagpur. He has been teaching subjects related to Communication Studies. Prof. D. Suar, Damodar Suar is a Professor in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Kharagpur, and in the Vinod Gupta School of Management,
Who Can Join: Any discipline PREREQUISITES: An intermediate course in English Language INDUSTRY SUPPORT: All industries
CRITERIA TO GET A CERTIFICATE
Average assignment score = 25% of the average of the best 6 assignments out of the total 8 assignments given in the course.
Exam score = 75% of the proctored certification exam score out of 100
Final score = Average assignment score + Exam score
Students will be eligible for CERTIFICATE ONLY IF AVERAGE ASSIGNMENT SCORE >=10/25 AND EXAM SCORE >= 30/75. If any of the 2 criteria are not met, the student will not get the certificate even if the Final score >= 40/100.
Speaking Effectively Assignment Week 1 Answers:-
1. Inability to express ourselves correctly is often because
Ans:- D-All of the Above.
2. Our voice provides clues to which of the following
Ans:-D-All of the Above
3. Which of the following is a type of non-verbal communication?
4. Which of these is not a one-way communication model?
Ans:- D-Personal Meeting
5. In an ideal situation when we communicate, we do not?
Ans:- D-Neglect People
6. Phonetics is
Ans:- C-The Science of Sounds
7. Standard language is usually the dialect of the
Ans:- A-Cultural Dominant Group
8. While referring to a senior (in rank and position) you should
Ans:- B-Use Their Title
9. Which of the following way does not help to improve our voice quality?
Ans:- D-Stooping Posture
10. The type(s) of English usage dominant in the world is/are
11. Usually, in a communication situation, there is always
12. Verbs which are used like nouns and which can make speech very confusing are called
Ans:- C-Camouflaged verbs.
13. Speaking comprises of
Ans:- D-i,ii & iii.
14. Speaking is an art, but it is also a
15. Which of the following practices should be followed while greeting people at work?
Ans:- D-All of the Above.